7.577, Disc: Lang & movies, Ungrammatical sentences

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Apr 19 03:43:52 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-577. Thu Apr 18 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  98

Subject: 7.577, Disc: Lang & movies, Ungrammatical sentences

Date:  Tue, 16 Apr 1996 22:11:47 CDT
From:  pdaniels at press-gopher.uchicago.edu (Peter Daniels)
Subject:  Re: 7.567, Disc: Ungrammatical sentences, Lang & movies

2)
Date:  Tue, 16 Apr 1996 20:03:23 PDT
From:  dearmond at sfu.ca (Richard DeArmond)
Subject:  Re: 7.552, Disc: Ungrammatical sentences

Date:  Tue, 16 Apr 1996 22:11:47 CDT
From:  pdaniels at press-gopher.uchicago.edu (Peter Daniels)

Torsten Leuschner's description of early sound films is accurate, but
I think the relevant comparandum is not "real life", but rather the
legitimate theater (i.e., the exaggerated gestures required of stage
actors so that they can communicate to the farthest members of the
audience).

A database with a much shorter timeline would be videos of operas
(opera performances preserved on film are fairly rare and may be
neglected or considred as the basepoint for the analysis). How rapidly
did opera signers [singers] throw off the exaggerations needed for
giant theaters, and take on the behavior of stage/TV actors? The
widespread (in the US, anyway) use of supertitles has also helped
reduce the need for exaggerated gesture to communicate the content of
the drama.

Perhaps there's a dissertaion in such comparisons ...