7.488, Disc: Literary Acquisition, Mora-counting

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Mar 31 14:44:32 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-488. Sun Mar 31 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  92

Subject: 7.488, Disc: Literary Acquisition, Mora-counting

Date:  Sun, 24 Mar 1996 14:20:31 CST
From:  pdaniels at press-gopher.uchicago.edu (Peter Daniels)
Subject:  Re: 7.447, Qs: Literacy acquisition

2)
Date:  Mon, 25 Mar 1996 12:07:29 EST
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)
Subject:  Mora-counting

Date:  Sun, 24 Mar 1996 14:20:31 CST
From:  pdaniels at press-gopher.uchicago.edu (Peter Daniels)

Regarding Brook Swainson's query about the involvement of rhyme as a pre-
cursor to literacy acquisition--

It is perhaps relevant that the poetry of the languages for which writing was
first devised (Sumerian, Egyptian) and for which segmental scripts were fifrst
devised (Phoenician and/or close relatives, Ugaritic) does not use rhyme at
all: poetry is based in syllable counting, in alliteration, in parallelism
and chiasm of syntax and pairs of words in stereotypical relationships,
etc.; readily accessible examples are found anywhere in the book of Psalms,
for instance, and throughout the Hebrew Bible. (One writer noted, long ago,
that it was pretty clever of God to write his poetry in a form that could
be translated into any language without losing the readxxxxxx features
that make it poetry.)