7.687, Qs: Syntactic typology, E-mail in Yiddish, Etymology of streak

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun May 12 15:10:44 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-687. Sun May 12 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  148

Subject: 7.687, Qs: Syntactic typology, E-mail in Yiddish, Etymology of streak

Date:  Fri, 10 May 1996 10:26:25 PDT
From:  fjn at u.washington.edu (Frederick Newmeyer)
Subject:  Syntactic typology and syntactic change

2)
Date:  Sat, 11 May 1996 10:29:14 +0900
From:  tsuguya at gol.com (Tsuguya Sasaki)
Subject:  E-mail in languages using non-Roman characters

3)
Date:  Sat, 11 May 1996 12:10:02 MDT
From:  hcannon at macalstr.edu (Heather Cannon)
Subject:  etymology of "streak"

Date:  Fri, 10 May 1996 10:26:25 PDT
From:  fjn at u.washington.edu (Frederick Newmeyer)

This posting is meant both as a query and as a discussion piece. If
our goal is to explain why the languages of the world have the
typological distribution that they do (a goal shared by both
'structuralists' and 'functionalists'), we want to be reasonably sure
that the typological generalizations we take as the explananda are
real generalizations and not merely artifacts of sampling method or
some built-in, but dubious, assumption. As Matthew Dryer has shown in
several papers, to insure this is not so easy. He has shown that just
taking a 'random sample' of the world's languages will not give us the
right typological generalizations, due to the accidental fact of
history that some language families are much bigger than others. So, a
random sample of languages will give us about equal percentages of SVO
and SOV, with most of the remainder VSO. But as Dryer points out, 71%
of VSO languages are in one family (Austronesian) and 40% of SVO
languages are in one family (Niger-Congo). Correcting for this fact
(to the extent that it is possible to do so), SOV order is by far the
predominant one.

Dryer proposes a sampling method to correct for skewed sizes of
language families, which is not my purpose to discuss here. Rather, I
wish to point out that there is another potential way to test whether
typological generalizations are 'real'. Suppose that 70% of languages
have syntactic feature 'X' and 30% of languages have feature 'Y',
where not having X implies Y, and not having Y implies X. We want to
know if the 70%-30% split reflects something meaningful. Then, all
other things being equal, IN SYNTACTIC CHANGE, we should find X
arising somewhat more than twice as often as we find Y arising.

Does anybody know / has anything been written on whether such
predictions are borne out for attested (not reconstructed!) syntactic
changes in the world's languages for whatever typological feature? My
impression is that for basic word order change, the prediction fails
miserably. That is, it is my impression (am I right?) that there are
many more attested examples of SVO order arising than SOV order
arising. This despite the conclusion that there is something 'real'
(i.e. something to be explained) about a preference for SOV order.

The problem, of course, is that there are very few languages whose
development we can study for longer than a century, and they are
almost all in just a few language families. So, if attested SOV -> SVO
is more common than attested SVO -> SOV, that might merely be an
accidental consequence of what we have documented for us in the
historical record.

Would anybody care to comment on this general problem in a Linguist
List posting?

Fritz Newmeyer
fjn at u.washington.edu