7.1406, Qs: Dream vs. nightmare, Ling judgements, _real_

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Oct 9 18:44:57 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1406. Wed Oct 9 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  131

Subject: 7.1406, Qs: Dream vs. nightmare, Ling judgements, _real_

Associate Editors: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>
                   Ann Dizdar <dizdar at tam2000.tamu.edu>
Assistant Editor:  Sue Robinson <robinson at emunix.emich.edu>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <rreck at emunix.emich.edu>

Date:  Mon, 07 Oct 1996 13:25:07 +0200
From:  rene.schneider at dbag.ulm.DaimlerBenz.COM (Rene Schneider)
Subject:  Query: dreams vs. nightmares

2)
Date:  Mon, 07 Oct 1996 12:25:55 BST
From:  James.Thomas at cl.cam.ac.uk (James Thomas)
Subject:  HELP: judgements required

3)
Date:  Tue, 08 Oct 1996 18:28:29 BST
From:  iaevi at usc.es (elisa vazquez iglesias)
Subject:  Real again

Date:  Mon, 07 Oct 1996 13:25:07 +0200
From:  rene.schneider at dbag.ulm.DaimlerBenz.COM (Rene Schneider)

Dear linguists,

I would like to put a request on the lexical and semantical
motivation for the concepts of <dream> vs. <nightmare>.  Although
there is a strong relationship between the two concepts, they often
have different etymologies and differ in their lexical realization,
e.g. 'sue~no' vs. 'pesadilla' (spanish)
     'r^eve' vs. 'cauchemar' (french).
The german wordpair 'Traum' vs. 'Albtraum/Alptraum' makes a light
exception, as '(Alb)-traum' indicates explicitly the relationship of
being a subclass of 'Traum'.

I would appreciate it if someone could send me
a) as many examples for these wordpairs in different languages,
esp. non-indoeuropean languages,
b) the etymologies of the words,
c) the cultural knowledge that is needed to understand the
linguistic motivation for these words.

Please send me your answers privately and I will send a summary to
the list.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help

Rene' Schneider

Rene' Schneider