8.141, Qs: Negation, Orwell quote, Readability

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Jan 30 20:05:50 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-141. Thu Jan 30 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.141, Qs: Negation, Orwell quote, Readability

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Susan Robinson <sue at linguistlist.org>

Date:    Wed, 29 Jan 1997 17:23:43 +0200 (EET)
From:  Matti Miestamo <matmies at utu.fi>
Subject:  Qs: Negation vs. Affirmation

2)
Date:  Wed, 29 Jan 1997 08:50:16 -0500
From:  Kate Gladstone & Andrew Haber <kate at global2000.net>
Subject:  Orwell quote; imposed social stratification of speech

3)
Date:           Wed, 29 Jan 1997 09:29:21 GMT
From:  <SHAPERJJ at m4-arts.bham.ac.uk>
Subject:        readability

Date:    Wed, 29 Jan 1997 17:23:43 +0200 (EET)
From:  Matti Miestamo <matmies at utu.fi>

Dear Listers,

I am doing my MA thesis on the relationship between negation and
affirmation.  Especially I am interested in the way the marking of
tense/aspect/mood or other categories is affected by negation. I would
be grateful, if you could point out to me languages where for instance
a tense/aspect/mood-distinction made in the positive is neutralised in
the negative (or vice versa!) or any languages that are interesting as
far as the relationship between negation and affirmation is
concerned. I am already aware of a number of languages that could be
relevant for my study, but any information is welcome.  Also, I would
appreciate information on books and articles relevant for my study. I
will post a summary.

Thank you,
Matti Miestamo, University of Turku, Finland