12.1155, Books: Language and Gender

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Apr 27 15:11:07 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-1155. Fri Apr 27 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.1155, Books: Language and Gender

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU
		Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU

Links to the websites of all LINGUIST's supporting publishers are
available at the end of this issue.

Date:  Tue, 24 Apr 2001 11:59:28 -0400
From:  "Sean Hanrahan" <seanrahan at hotmail.com>
Subject:  Language and Gender: Representing Rape; Lanugage and Sexual Consent,
	 by Susan Ehrlich

Date:  Tue, 24 Apr 2001 11:59:28 -0400
From:  "Sean Hanrahan" <seanrahan at hotmail.com>
	 by Susan Ehrlich

Susan Ehrlich, York University, Toronto, Canada, REPRESENTING RAPE
Language and Sexual Consent

"Representing Rape is a thought provoking book about sex and violence,
language and the law--this is serious linguistics with a serious
point.  Beginning from the observation that in court, events are
always mediated by the language used to describe them. Ehrlich shows
in detail how courtroom discourse about rape and sexual assault
disadvantages complainants and reinforces rape myths. Her analysis
adds a new dimension to feminist discussions of the criminal justice
system and deepens our understanding of why it often does not deliver
justice for women."
		--Deborah Cameron, Institute of Education, University of London

"This rich and rewarding book gives concrete linguistic substance to social
constructionism and should be read not only by linguists but by anyone with
a serious interest in gender or cultural theory."
		--Sally McConnell-Ginet, Cornell University

Representing Rape is the first feminist analysis of the language of sexual
assault trials from the perspective of linguists. Susan Ehrlich argues that
language is central to all legal settings - specifically sexual harassment
and acquaintance rape hearings where linguistic descriptions of the events
are often the only type of evidence available. Language does not simply
reflect but helps to construct the character of the people and events under
investigation.  The book is based around a case study of the trial of a male
student accused of two instances of sexual assault in two different
settings: a university
tribunal and a criminal trial. This case is situated within international
studies on rape trials and is relevant to the legal systems of the US,
Canada, Britain, Australia, and New Zealand. She shows how
culturally-dominant notions about rape percolate through the talk of sexual
assault cases in a variety of settings and ultimately shape their outcome.
Ehrlich hopes that to understand rape trials in this way is to recognize
their capacity for change. By highlighting the underlying preconceptions and
prejudices in the language of courtrooms today, this important book paves
the way towards a fairer judicial system for the future.

		Routledge: March 2001: 168 pp
		HB: 0415205212 $85.00; £50.00
		PB: 0415205220 $25.95; £15.99

Acknowledgments
Introduction
1. The Institutional Coerciveness of Legal Discourse
2. "My Shirt came off. I gather that he took it off": The Accused's Grammar
of Non-Agency
3. "I see an option. I simply want to explore that option with you":
Questions and Ideological Work
4. "I didn't yell. I didn't scream": Complainants' Ineffectual Agency or
Strategic Agency?
5. Acquaintance Rape: Miscommunication or Culturally-Sanctioned Ignorance?
Conclusion
Bibliography

 If you buy one of these books, please tell the publisher or author that
 you saw it on LINGUIST.

 The following publishers contribute to the support of The LINGUIST List:

 MAJOR SUPPORTERS

         Academic Press
                  http://www.academicpress.com

         Arnold Publishers
                  http://www.arnoldpublishers.com

         Athelstan Publications
                  http://www.athel.com

         Blackwell Publishers
                  http://www.blackwellpublishers.co.uk/

         Cambridge University Press
                  http://www.cup.org

         Cascadilla Press
                  http://www.cascadilla.com/

	 Distribution Fides

         Elsevier Science Ltd.
                  http://www.elsevier.nl/locate/linguistics

         John Benjamins
                  http://www.benjamins.com/
	          http://www.benjamins.nl/

         Kluwer Academic Publishers
                  http://www.wkap.nl/

         Lernout & Hauspie
                  http://www.lhsl.com

         Lincom Europa
                  http://www.lincom-europa.com

         MIT Press
                  http://mitpress.mit.edu/books-legacy.tcl

         Mouton de Gruyter
                  http://www.deGruyter.de/hling.html

         Multilingual Matters
                  http://www.multilingual-matters.com/

         Oxford UP
                  http://www.oup-usa.org/

         Pearson Education
                  http://www.pearsoneduc.com/catalog.html

         Rodopi
                  http://www.rodopi.nl/

         Routledge
                  http://www.routledge.com/

         Springer-Verlag
                  http://www.springer.de

         Summer Institute of Linguistics
                  http://www.sil.org/

 OTHER SUPPORTING PUBLISHERS

         Anthropological Linguistics
                  http://www.indiana.edu/~anthling/

         Finno-Ugrian Society
                  http://www.helsinki.fi/jarj/sus/

         Graduate Linguistic Students' Assoc., Umass
                  http://www.umass.edu/linguist/GLSA/

         Kingston Press Ltd.
                  http://www.kingstonpress.com

         Linguistic Assoc. of Finland
                  http://www.ling.helsinki.fi/sky/

         Linguistic Society of Southern Africa (LSSA)
                  http://www.safest.org.za/bsp

         Pacific Linguistics
                  http://pacling.anu.edu.au

         Pacini Editore Spa