19.415, Support: Language Acquisition: PhD Student, University of Sussex

Tue Feb 5 15:55:48 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-415. Tue Feb 05 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.415, Support: Language Acquisition: PhD Student, University of Sussex

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Bethany Townsend <bethany at linguistlist.org>

Date: 05-Feb-2008
From: Jessica Horst < jessica at sussex.ac.uk >
Subject: Language Acquisition: PhD Student, University of Sussex, United Kingdom

Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 10:53:32
From: Jessica Horst [jessica at sussex.ac.uk]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-415.html&submissionid=168483&topicid=12&msgnumber=1

Institution/Organization: University of Sussex
Department: Psychology
Web Address: http://www.sussex.ac.uk/

Level: PhD

Duties: Research

Specialty Areas: Language Acquisition
Word Learning

Child Word Learning Study (Supervisor: Dr Jessica Horst)

Applications are invited for a PhD studentship to work on a word learning
project with Dr. Jessica Horst. This study aims to examine young children's
remarkable ability to learn words quickly and apparently effortlessly.
Specifically, we will investigate young children's word learning, focusing on
their early noun vocabulary. Several developmental methodologies will be used to
explore what children learn from the very first time they are exposed to a new
word and the object that it names. We will also study how the word learning
context influences children's abilities to remember newly learned words. The
student will receive training in various developmental research methods and
conduct research with children ages 1-4 years. Applicants with a strong interest
in cognitive development or language acquisition are encouraged to apply.

See also: http://www.lifesci.sussex.ac.uk/research/wordlab/index.html

Application Deadline: 31-Mar-2008

Web Address for Applications: http://www.sussex.ac.uk/Units/publications/pgrad2008/applying

Contact Information: