19.2759, Jobs: Syntax: Asst Prof, Georgetown University

Wed Sep 10 16:54:49 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-2759. Wed Sep 10 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.2759, Jobs: Syntax: Asst Prof, Georgetown University

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Bethany Townsend <bethany at linguistlist.org>

Date: 10-Sep-2008
From: Paul Portner < portnerp at georgetown.edu >
Subject: Syntax: Asst Prof, Georgetown University, DC, USA

Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 12:52:47
From: Paul Portner [portnerp at georgetown.edu]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-2759.html&submissionid=189705&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Georgetown University
Department: Linguistics
Job Location: District of Columbia, USA
Web Address: http://linguistics.georgetown.edu

Job Rank: Assistant Professor

Specialty Areas: Syntax

The Department of Linguistics at Georgetown University is pleased to
solicit applications for an Tenure Track Assistant Professor in syntax with
an anticipated start date of Fall 2009.  The successful candidate will have
demonstrated a strong research agenda in syntactic theory, preferably
dealing with the interface between syntax and another area of grammar, such
as phonology, morphology, semantics, or pragmatics.  In addition, we value
highly the ability to relate syntactic theory to other important areas in
linguistics, such as acquisition, computational linguistics, language
change, or typology.

Teaching responsibilities will be 2-2, and involve courses at all levels:
undergraduate, beginning graduate, and research seminars.  The person who
fills this position should expect to advise Masters and PhD students, to
work closely with existing faculty in syntax and related areas, and to take
on a position of leadership in the Theoretical Linguistics concentration
within the department.

Georgetown's Linguistics Department is one of the nation's most diverse,
with faculty interests spanning a wide range of approaches to language.
For more information on the department, see the website listed above.

Please send at least the following materials (hard copies only - no
electronic submissions):

- a cover letter, including summaries of teaching experience and of
research interests
- a CV
- three sample publications
- three letters of reference, sent directly by the referees

Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
 Women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are
encouraged to apply.

Application Deadline: 21-Nov-2008
Mailing Address for Applications:
	Paul Portner