28.1894, Countdown: Three days left to support your team in the LINGUIST List Challenges!

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Apr 21 14:46:46 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-1894. Fri Apr 21 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.1894, Countdown: Three days left to support your team in the LINGUIST List Challenges!

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2017
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Amanda Foster <amanda at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 10:46:34
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]

Dear LINGUIST List Challenge Competitors,

You've received messages about the Advisors' Challenge
(http://linguistlist.org/issues/28/28-1880.html) - but the Category Challenges
are also still going on, only for three more days! By supporting us, you also
take part in multiple challenges at once - how exciting is that!

These Challenges close at the end of THIS WEEK! You only have three more days
to prove the LINGUIST List world that your University/Subfield/Country/Region
is the most generous in the field! So donate if you haven't yet, to support
not only us, but also your team - and if you have donated, invited your
colleagues into the challenge!

Now, the very exciting update on the Category Challenges leaders:

In the University Challenge:

Indiana University has just re-taken the first position from the University of
Washington! These two universities have been fighting for the first place in
the last few weeks. Indiana has provided the most funds so far, but we've
received more individual donations from Washington! The next few days will
decide of the Champion! Behind them, Stanford University maintains a steady
third position - will they catch up with the runners up before the week is
ended? Outside the United States, North-West University, Potchefstroom and
Vaal Triangle campuses, South Africa is still the most generous University!
Will this title be challenged by any other non- USA university?

In the Subfield category:

Syntacticians are still in the lead, our 2016 Champions! However,
Computational Linguists are slowly catching up: have they been waiting for
this moment to make the final sprint? Semanticists have distanced
Sociolinguists for the third position - will any field now catch up with them?

In the Regions Challenge:

North America is in first position, followed by Europe, and Asia in third
place!

In the countries Challenge:

The USA is far ahead of any other country, with 322 donors! Behind them,
Germany (52 donors) has broken ahead of its tie with the United Kingdom (36
donors). But everything could still turn around: What counts in this challenge
is not the amount donated, but the number of donors!

Who will be crowned this year? It's still all up in the air! Your donation can
make a big difference: http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/donate/ and if you
have donate, tell the world why by joining our hashtag campaign:
#whyIlovethelinguistlist

Thank you for your support, and good luck!

-- The LINGUIST List team

                       Fund Drive 2017

This year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $70,000. This money
will go to help keep the List running by supporting all of our
Student Editors for the coming year.

Don't forget to check out the Fund Drive 2017 site!

http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

We collect donations via the eLinguistics Foundation, a
registered 501(c) Non Profit organization with the federal tax
number 45-4211155. The donations can be offset against your
federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers
only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact
your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program. Contact
your human resources department and send us the necessary form.