29.3641, Books: From Sounds to Structures: Petrosino, Cerrone, Hulst (eds.)

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Sep 21 13:52:01 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-3641. Fri Sep 21 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.3641, Books: From Sounds to Structures: Petrosino, Cerrone, Hulst (eds.)

Moderator: linguist at linguistlist.org (Malgorzata E. Cavar)
Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté)
Homepage: https://linguistlist.org

Editor for this issue: Jeremy Coburn <jecoburn at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 09:51:53
From: Pablo Dominguez Andersen [pablo.dominguez at degruyter.com]

Title: From Sounds to Structures
Subtitle: Beyond the Veil of Maya
Series Title: Studies in Generative Grammar [SGG]

Publication Year: 2018
Publisher: De Gruyter Mouton
	   http://www.degruyter.com/mouton

Book URL: https://www.degruyter.com/view/product/487920?format=G

Editor: Roberto Petrosino
Editor: Pietro Cerrone
Editor: Harry van der Hulst

Hardback: ISBN:  9781501515347 Pages: 536 Price: U.S. $ 114.99

Abstract:

The term ‘Maya’, in Indian traditions, refers to our sensory perception of the
world and, as such, to a superficial reality (or ‘un–reality’) that we must
look beyond to find the inner reality of things. Applied to the study of
language, we perceive sounds, a superficial reality, and then we seek
structures, the underlying reality in what we call phonology, morphology, and
syntax. This volume starts with an introduction by the editors, which shows
how the various papers contained in the volume reflect the spectrum of
research interests of Andrea Calabrese, as well as his influence on the work
of colleagues and his students. Contributors, united in their search for the
abstract structures that underlie the appearances of languages include
linguists such as Adriana Belletti, Paola Benincà, Jonathan Bobaljik, Gugliemo
Cinque, David Embick, Mirko Grimaldi, Harry van der Hulst, Michael Kenstowicz,
Maria Rita Manzini, Andrew Nevins, Elizabeth Pyatt, Luigi Rizzi, Leonardo
Savoia, Laura Vanelli, Bert Vaux, Susi Wurmbrand, as well as a few junior
researchers including Mariachiara Berizzi, Giuliano Bocci, Stefano Canalis,
Silvio Cruschina, Irina Monich, Beata Moskal, Diego Pescarini, Joseph Perry,
Roberto Petrosino, and Kobey Schwayder.

Linguistic Field(s): Phonology
                     Syntax

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=130093

              The IU Foundation Crowd Funding site:

               The LINGUIST List FundDrive Page: