LL-L: "Lyrics" LOWLANDS-L, 22.DEC.1999 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 22 15:54:29 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 22.DEC.1999 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Arvid Huisman <ahuisma at creston.heartland.net>
Subject: AULD LANG SYNE

Hello, Lowlanders!

        Here in the US and, I assume, in many parts of the world it is
customary to ring out the old year on New Year's Eve by singing "Auld Lang
Syne." While I've sung the song many times over the years, I have always
wondered what the phrase "auld lang syne" means? Is this phrase Scots and,
if so, what is its meaning?
        Any other information regarding the lyrics of this fine old New
Year's Eve song would be greatly appreciated.
        Thank you!

Arvid Huisman
Creston Iowa USA

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Lyrics

Dear Arvid,

Your question is a reqular annual event.  It is one of the most frequently
asked questions.  So we don't have to reinvent the wheel again, I am enclosing
excerpts from relevant discussions we had in previous years.  I hope it helps.

Happy Holidays!

Reinhard/Ron

***

From: Colin Wilson <lcwilson at iee.org>
Subject: Re: LOWLANDS-L 27.MAY.1996 (02) "Auld lang syne, etc."

At 13:04 27/05/96 -0700, Klaus Linssen wrote:

>       Should auld acquaintance be forgot and never brought to mind?
>       Should auld acquaintance be forgot and days of auld lang syne?
>       For auld lang syne, my dear, for auld lang syne,
>       We'll take a cup of kindness yet for the sake of auld lang
>       syne.
>
>       And there is a hand, my trusty friend
>       and gies a hand of thine
>       and we will take a right guide
>       willy waught for auld lang syne
>
>     What does 'auld lang syne' and 'gies a hand of thine'
>     and 'willy waught' mean?
>     What kind of English is this? Old English?
>     An English or Scottish dialect?

This looks like an incomplete and inaccurate rendering into
English of part of one of the most famous songs in the world,
"Auld Lang Syne", written in Scots by Robert Burns over 200
years ago.

I say "incomplete", because some of the Scots vocabulary has
been left untranslated, and hence your call for an explanation.
To answer your specific questions: "auld lang syne" means literally
"old long ago", and so the phrase "for auld lang syne" is best
translated into English as "for old times' sake".

"Gies" should be " gie 's", a contraction of "gie us" meaning
literally "give us", but idioomatically meaning "give me".

A "guidwilly waught"... "guidwilly" has no counterpart in English,
but is the adjective derived from "guidwill" (meaning "goodwill").
A "waught" is a draught of liquor.

These are the words as Burns actually wrote them:

"Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And never brought to min'?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And auld lang syne?

    For auld lang syne, my dear,
    For auld lang syne,
    We'll tak a cup o' kindness yet,
    For auld lang syne.

And there's a hand, my trusty fiere
And gie 's a hand o' thine;
And we'll tak a right guid-willie waught
For auld lang syne."

One aspect of Burns' way of writing Scots is that it makes Scots
look more like English than it really is. At the time when he
write those words, Scots had already been in decline as a medium of
literacy for some 200 years: as a result, he was writing for a
readership whose primary medium of literacy was English, and in the
case of his readership outside Scotland, one not even familiar with
Scots in speech.

The result can be seen in anglicisms such as "right" and "brought", which
really ought to be "richt" and "brocht" (and the "ch" is pronounced),
and the so-called "apologetic apostrophe" in "o'" , standing for a
"missing" letter which was never there to begin with. His contemporary
Scottish readership would have known what to make of these, of course,
and known how to read them aloud: today, though they cause a lot of
confusion.

Here is how the same passage looks in a modern Scots orthography:

"Shid auld acquaintance be forgot,
An nivver brocht tae mind?
Shid auld acquaintance be forgot,
An auld lang syne?

    For auld lang syne, ma dear,
    For auld lang syne,
    We'll tak a cup o kindness yet,
    For auld lang syne.

And there's a haund, ma trusty fiere
And gie 's a haund o thine;
And we'll tak a richt guid-willie waucht
For auld lang syne."

Colin Wilson