1st person honorifics?

Mr. Tezozomoc tezozomoc at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 2 16:20:06 UTC 2000

The nahuatl people did not use it but the friars did certainly pump
themselves up.....

Here is a piece from Fray Juan Gaona's peace and tranquility:

Fray Ioa: de Gaona, sant
Francisco teopixqui, vei teotlatol-
matini.  Auh quinaxcan, occeppa
Yancuican oquimopatili, oquimoc
xitoquili, in cenca mauiztililoni to
tlazotatzin Fray Miguel de zasare
vei teotlatolmatini, yuan Comissa
rio gn~al itechpa in santa cruzada,
nica:ipa:

>From: "Ehecatecolotl" <fjgs at servidor.unam.mx>
>To: <nahuat-l at server2.umt.edu>
>Subject: 1st person honorifics?
>Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 21:07:10 -0600
>
><<snip>>
> > The books say that using honorifics of oneself in Nahuatl is not done
>because
> > it would seem too pompous. But are there any examples of it found in the
> > literature. perhaps to achieve a special effect? (Chinese has an
>example:
> > pronoun pronounced "ching", written by a special character, which could
>be
> > fairly translated as {nehhua:tzin}; only the Emperor was allowed to use
>it!)
>

>I understand the honorific used for one´s self is acceptable if the person
>is being condescendent to him/herself, conveying the meaning of "poor me,
>incapable of such or such deed", therefore, the situation mentioned by
>Francestzin applies just fine or when the person is ill, etc.

View my epidemic.com e-mail graphics!
http://www.epidemic.com/myepimall.jhtml?emid=42448

http://www.epidemic.com/?emid=42448

The e-mail or Internet service provider used for this e-mail is not
affiliated with any advertisements you may see. (Get details at
http://www.epidemic.com/public/disclaimer.html)