Number query

Frances Karttunen karttu at nantucket.net
Wed Jan 8 17:27:05 UTC 2003

Can someone direct me to a source or sources for an actual number of people
said to have died when the Spanish forces under Pedro de Alvarado attacked
the celebrants in the Templo Mayor?  So far as I can find, although the
Florentine Codex describes a great slaughter, there is no specific number of
deaths mentioned.  Is there such a figure somewhere else?

I am working with a person who cites a number, but I suspect what he uses is
the number of people calculated to have been sacrificed for the dedication
of the temple, not the number of those killed in the Spanish attack.

Thanks,

Fran