polite farewell forms

r. joe campbell campbel at indiana.edu
Fri Jan 10 21:38:30 UTC 2003

David,
   I'll let Citlalin and Citlalyani speak for themselves, but I can shed
some light on what sometimes follows my own signature.  To really
appreciate it, you'd have to 1) see me from the back when I'm not facing
you and not wearing a coat; 2) see me when I raise the cuff of my jeans.
   Several years ago, two good friends of mine (one a native speaker of
Nahuatl and the other an acquired speaker of Nahuatl) sent me a gift: a
beautifully white-stitched belt which said "Cencah Xochichil".  Since
then, I have been accosted frequently in public by people who want to know
what my belt says.  When I reply, "Always red-footed".  I let their
puzzled look last for a few seconds before I pull up the cuff of my jeans
and let the glow of my red socks hit them and say, "I haven't worn
anything but red socks for more than thirty years."

Best regards,

Joe
 (Cencah Xochichil)