nahuatl translation

Galen Brokaw brokaw at BUFFALO.EDU
Fri Jul 2 19:42:51 UTC 2004

My first guess is that this a scribal error or a typo, and that the
original is actually "zacapepechtli" rather than "yacapepechtli." The
translator gives the meaning as "cama de pajas", so it would seem that
he is reading it as if it were "zaca" [straw] rather than "yaca" [nose].
The Florentine does have attestations of both "zacapechtli" and with the
reduplication "zacapepechtli" meaning straw bed.
Have you checked either the original or other editions of the Anales to
see if they have this word spelled the same way? I would suspect that
you will find it spelled "zacapepechtli" in the original and most other
editions.
Galen