ineua & how-to-cite

Mark David Morris mdmorris at INDIANA.EDU
Mon Jul 5 18:17:44 UTC 2004

Off the cuff, I would suggest possibly looking at this word as a compound
of nehui/nehua and il- or ihi- , i.e. ihnehua, ilnehua.  Nehui/nehua means
something like "to equal, to resemble," but was also consistently used in
colonial Tlaxcala to describe receipt of superior orders from the colonial
administration, e.g. onechtlaneuh in Despacho, "we received the judgment,
order."  Ihnehua or ilnehua, then, could describe spirit possession what
would be demon possession in the Church's eyes.  However, I think there is
a basic problem in Simeon's entry that removes this "word" from prudent
use of lexicon.  I'm sorry I don't have time to add detailed notes, but I
think it is very doubtful that this verb, like inecui that precedes it,
is an independent verb--these are compound verbs, probably transcribed
with errors and dependent on certain contexts that provide as much of
their meaning as the morphological elements.

sincerely,
Mark Morris

La muerte tiene permiso a todo

MDM, PhD Candidate