Nahuatl Fiction / ficcion Nahuatl

Archaeology Institute institute at CSUMB.EDU
Thu Jul 22 02:16:34 UTC 2004

Nahua language and culture discussion <NAHUAT-L at LISTS.UMN.EDU> writes:
>On the other hand, there are numbers of knowledgeable people who were
>appalled by "Aztec."

Dear Ms. Karttunen,

        I too am aware of the reaction to Jennings book...particularly from those (graduate students) who chose not to read the book because they had heard similar comments second hand.  I am of the belief that when "fiction" has the potential to elicit
such a reaction from the "pros," then clearly that fiction has done its job.  I, for one, believe that the narrative accomplished what no other "fictional" treatment and or narrative on the Mexica had done to date, and that is that it made Aztec
civilization readily available to those who might not otherwise have cared to examine it on any other level.  Let's face it, few scholars in the realm of Nahuatl studies ever manage to do that...

Best Regards,

Ruben G. Mendoza, Ph.D., Director
Institute for Archaeological Science, Technology and Visualization
Social and Behavioral Sciences
California State University Monterey Bay
100 Campus Center
Seaside, California 93955-8001

Email: archaeology_institute at csumb..edu
Voice: 831-582-3760
Fax: 831-582-3566
http://archaeology.csumb.edu
http://archaeology.csumb.edu/wireless/

Confidentiality Notice:  The information contained in this e-mail message is sender-privileged and confidential information.  It is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are
notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, electronic storage or use of this communication is prohibited.  If you received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail, attaching the original message, and
delete the original message from your computer, and any network to which your computer is connected.

Thank you.