Autonomous Indigenous People Who Speak Nahuatl]

micc2 at cox.net micc2 at cox.net
Tue Aug 28 17:05:39 UTC 2007

Piali compaleh huan comaleh,

I have worked for a short time interpreting for  a few Nahuatl defendants in court (mostly immigration cases).  The men I have worked with have come from the sierra de Puebla, and Guerrero. Based in this tiny sample,  It seems that most Nahuatl workers first go to Mexico City, Matamoros, Nuevo Laredo,or Ciudad Juarez.. Here in San Diego county, there is a large Mixteco community, as there is in L.A. county. I know of only one family of Nahuatl speakers. they came here from Guerrero. I also know there is one Huichol artisan that lives here.

Perhaps until now, the Nahuatl speakers lived in more economically sustainable areas than the Mixteco and Maya. i have only met one Purepecha speaking immigrant here in San Diego, and a few Yoremi.

Mario
www.mexicayotl.org