Why is a swallow called a swallow?

Frye, David dfrye at umich.edu
Tue Sep 11 20:31:10 UTC 2007

John,

The OED shows no connection between the verb/action "swallow" and the bird "swallow" in English. Both words go back to Old English, when the bird was "swealwe",  "swalwe," "swalu," etc; the verb was "swelghan", "swilhdh", "swealgh", etc. (with many more forms in the various conjugations, notably the ppl. "forswoleghed"), and the related noun (now meaning "a gulp" but originally meaning "a pit") was "swelh" and variations. Note the different vowels in the first syllable, which (not knowing an iota about Old English) I must assume is relevent to concluding that these clouds of words are different.

The OED helpfully notes:  "The encroachment of the o of the pa. pple. and the a of the pa. tense upon the pres. stem is evidenced from the 12th and 13th centuries respectively; it was perhaps furthered by association with SWALLOW n.1 [=the bird]."