Colonial language policy in the Americas

Susan Zakaib szakaib at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 18:23:27 UTC 2010

Hi Richard (and list!),

I haven't looked at the Portuguese case, but I believe there's very
little out there on colonial Spanish language policy. Dorothy Tanck de
Estrada examines Mexico's late colonial language policies and their
implementation in indigenous communities in _Pueblos de Indios y
Educación en el México Colonial, 1750-1821_. For early Peru, take a
look at Alan Durston's _Pastoral Quechua: The History of Christian
Translation in Colonial Peru, 1550-1650_ . Those are the only two
studies I know of that really delve into the subject. If anyone has
any other recommendations, I would love to hear about them as well.

You're welcome to get in touch with me if you'd like to discuss this
topic further. I'm writing my dissertation on language policy in
Bourbon Mexico--I'm in the very early stages of my research, so I'm no
expert by any means, but I'd be happy to help out if I can.

I hope this helps!

Susan Zakaib