Anomalies/enigmas of the plant "toloatzin" (and a deity "Tolo")?

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Sun Nov 27 20:03:51 UTC 2011

Stewart:

Florentine Codex (Dibble and Anderson), Book 11, page 147, gives
"Toloa" as a term for Datura. That would imply, with the endearment
suffix -tzin attached in your word 'toloatzin', that we are not dealing
with a verb; 'toloa' here is a noun, and an unusual one, in that it
lacks an absolutive suffix, the "-tl/-tli" that you see in Nahuatl.

The noun "toloa" (presumed *toloatl*) could be found to derive from a
verb, although we have a slight problem since there are two verbs in
the sources spelled "toloa," one meaning 'bend', the other 'swallow'.

Michael McCafferty