Fwd: Nahuatl word classes

Galen Brokaw brokaw at buffalo.edu
Wed Jan 2 16:38:52 UTC 2013

Hi Magnus,

I have a question about "cualli" too. Like John, I thought your original
point was that grammatical categories should be based on form and formal
behavior rather than semantic function. And I wholeheartedly agreed with
that. I had the same concern, and we have had discussions on the list
about this issue before. Now that I've gone back and reread your
original response, I see that you do refer to syntactical function, but
you then immediately explain, and advocate for, the classification of
words in Nahuatl based on morphological form. So I guess I thought you
were defining syntactical function in formal terms. So I'm not sure
exactly how syntactical function differs from form and whether or not
you can divorce it from form or from semantics either, and that seems to
cause problems. I agreed with what I understood you to be saying, that
grammatical categories should be based on their formal properties and
behavior rather than their semantic function. I think this is so in part
because "semantic function" always has formal implications that are not
necessarily universal. For example, if a particular language uses verbs
exclusively to describe nouns, then it is difficult for us to talk about
the semantics of this phenomenon without recourse to the grammatical
category "adjective." But this does not mean that such verbs have an
adjectival function. In the hypothetical language to which I am
referring, such expressions are verbal, so they have a verbal function.
They only have an adjectival function in relation to languages that have
adjectives.

This is only indirectly related to my question about "cualli." I think
the issue here is a little different. So to get back to the case of
"cualli," and at the risk of revealing my profound ignorance, can I ask
how the usage of "kwalli" is different from other nouns? Maybe I don't
understand your examples, but don't other nouns work the same way? You
can say "tehwah titlakati" too, right? But this doesn't mean that
"tlakati" works as a verb. If that were the case, then wouldn't all
predicate nominatives and direct objects function like verbs when the
verb is omitted? It sounds like you are saying something similar to the
idea that because a verb is not necessary, therefore nouns work like
verbs in Nahuatl. But just because the verb can be omitted doesn't mean
that the noun takes on a verbal function. It seems to me that this
confuses pragmatics with formal categories and structures of syntax.
Maybe I am misunderstanding, but it sounds like you are hesitant to
classify it as a regular noun, not because it behaves irregularly from a
morphological or formal perspective, but rather merely because it is
commonly used without a verb. But it seems to me that such usage has
more to do with pragmatic function than it does syntactic function: the
fact that Nahuatl doesn't need an actual verb in a complete and
acceptable utterance (which could be expressed as a complete grammatical
sentence with a verb). Of course, I think this is true of all languages.

Galen