name for a lime kiln

Campbell, R. Joe campbel at indiana.edu
Tue Mar 19 04:12:25 UTC 2013

Michael, John, and all,

   I have spent a good deal of time (not recently) with a good friend
who speaks Tlaxcallan Nahuatl.  We focused on the leftward stress
movement at one point and discussed words such at "tlacualiztl" and
"tzotzomahtl".  My phonetic memory is that there were no final
voiceless [i]'s, even ones that were hard to hear |8-) ...

   Another argument for the lack of a final voiceless vowel segment in
these words is that the stress moves one syllable to the left and the
integrity of the penultimate stress pattern is maintained by the
*dropping* of the final vowel. The maintenance of a final voiceless
vowel would create an irregular stress pattern.

   BUT the strongest evidence for the lack of final voiceless vowels is
that they are not there -- not audible.  I have a collection of
recordings from various dialects of Spanish that contain a number of
examples of voiceless vowels -- recordings which have been played
hundreds of times and perceived by hundreds of phonetics students. A
voiceless vowel is a segment that is perceivably high or low, front or
back, rounded or unrounded, etc. -- in other words, it has all the
characteristics of the corresponding voiced vowel except voicing.

Joe