chencre

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Sun Sep 21 16:18:10 UTC 2014

In fact, there are actually a few loan words in Algonquian from
Iroquoian, such as Munsee /káanoos/ 'kerosene' < Seneca /tka:no's/ 'oil
on water'.  Unami has /ya:kwého/ (or -ha) 'mammoth?' < Seneca 'Great
Bear, Naked Bear' (supposedly it means 'it's body is high'). There
seems to be a Mohawk loan in Cuoq's Algonquin: <sai> 'bean'). The point
was to suggest to John Sullivan that it be a better use of one's time
to look for Spanish borrowings into Huastecan Nahuatl than to look for
Native borrowings.

Michael