Orthography issues

Scott Berthiaume scott-tonia_berthiaume at sil.org
Tue Jan 21 23:19:47 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: George Aaron Broadwell
To: Scott Berthiaume
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 2:49 PM
Subject: Re: Orthography issues

Dear colleagues,

My two cents on the issue --

1.) I doubt a standard orthography is possible across different OM languages.  I even doubt whether it is possible to have a Zapotec orthography that would work for all the Zapotec languages.

2.) If we were starting from ground zero, it might be possible for clever linguists to devise a unified Zapotec orthography.  But we are not -- there are already published works (New Testament translations and literacy material) in the different languages that use different orthographies.

3.) After struggling with orthography wars in other places, I've come to the conclusion that you should almost never change any existing orthography if there are things published in it and people know it.  The disadvantages that go with changing a spelling system generally outweigh any advantages that accrue from having a more linguistically adequate orthography.

In my experience, trying to change an orthography or create a new orthography in a community where people are already accustomed to a old orthography makes a lot of people angry.  You lose Native readers and writers, and in the worst case, the choice of orthography becomes politicized.

4.) As for doing good linguistics -- I think it's better to add  diacritics to an existing orthography in order to fix phonemic problems.  Native readers and writers are free to ignore them.

5.)  You might sum up my opinion as "If it works, don't fix it."  Even if it works badly.

Best wishes,
Aaron Broadwell

George Aaron Broadwell
Department of Anthropology
Program in Linguistics and Cognitive Science
University at Albany, State University of New York
Albany, NY 12222  |  518-442-4711
g.broadwell at albany.edu