[RNLD List] Concerns over Federal funding for Australian Indigenous languages

Knut J. Olawsky manager at mirima.org.au
Wed Aug 19 02:28:09 UTC 2020

Dear colleagues and friends of the Living Languages/RNLD network,

Today I would like to share a media release with you which is mainly
relevant for you if you reside in Australia. It is related to the new
"Closing the Gap" agreement recently published by the Commonwealth
Government. It's reassuring to see that the increased use of Indigenous
languages is now included as one of the 10-year targets (and we may have to
thank the National Indigenous Languages Report for that) - but there is
concern that without additional support, very little may change.

The attached document is being sent to government officials and media
outlets around the country and we hope to draw some attention to the funding
situation for Indigenous languages in Australia.

I have also forwarded the article to PM Scott Morrison with the following
intro:

Dear Prime Minister,

I would like to draw your attention to the attached media release with
regard to the funding provided to Indigenous languages. Indigenous
Australians warmly welcome the recently released Closing the Gap agreement,
which includes the increased use of Indigenous languages as one of the
10-year targets. This is also in line with the upcoming UNESCO-declared
Decade of Indigenous Languages and the recommendations made in the National
Indigenous Languages Report (NILR) just released. Australians involved with
language centres to maintain, revitalise, and revive our languages are
concerned that the funding made available through the Indigenous Languages
and Arts (ILA) program will not suffice to achieve those goals and the
attached article investigates the details of this predicament.

On behalf of the wider community involved in Indigenous language work I
would like to invite you to review this document and take action to improve
the situation of Indigenous language centres.

We are sharing these concerns with the media on a nationwide scale and hope
this will resonate positively with the Commonwealth Government.

If you would like to support this initiative, please feel free to circulate
the document within your own networks or forward it to your local MPs.

Thank you all and best regards,

Knut

Mirima Council Aboriginal Corporation

Mirima Dawang Woorlab-gerring Language and Culture Centre (MDWg)

Dr. Knut J. Olawsky

CEO and Senior Linguist

P.O. Box 2420

Kununurra, WA 6743

Phone: (08) 9169 1029

E-mail:  <mailto:manager at mirima.org.au> manager at mirima.org.au

 <http://www.mirima.org.au/> www.mirima.org.au

 <http://www.mirima.org.au/>   <https://www.givenow.com.au/mirima>
<https://www.facebook.com/mirima?ref=hl>
<https://twitter.com/Mirima_Language>
<https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=99759195&trk=nav_responsive_tab_pr
ofile_pic>

MDWg's mission is to save the Miriwoong Language and Culture from
extinction.

If you would like to support this important goal please visit
<http://www.givenow.com.au/mirima> www.givenow.com.au/mirima.

Every contribution counts.

https://www.avg.com