Theses in reawakening languages

Harald Hammarström harald at bombo.se
Tue Jun 30 13:59:06 UTC 2020

> While "grammars as dissertations" seem to have made a comeback in North
> America (I don't think they were ever out of favour in Australia but they
> were here) recently

To this I'd just like to add, while it's true that "grammars as
dissertations" were out of favour in (North) America until recently, this
was so mainly for *linguist* students as opposed to
*missionaries*.  Missionaries, typically SIL, steadily produced grammars as
dissertations throughout this period which were accepted and defended at
American universities. all the best, H