Theses in reawakening languages

Alexis Michaud alexis.michaud at cnrs.fr
Tue Jun 30 12:49:34 UTC 2020

Le mar. 30 juin 2020 à 07:29, Sally Dixon <Sally.Dixon at une.edu.au> a écrit :

> Dear all,
>

> I’m looking for PhD/MA theses that centre on the description of
> reawakening or endangered languages. In particular, I’m hoping to find
> precedents for including dictionaries or translated text corpora as part of
> the PhD itself. I know there has been advocacy in the Language
> Documentation community for some time to have these seen as research
> outputs, but I’m trying to find out if this has been extended to those
> materials being qualifying for a PhD thesis. If there are any that come to
> mind, from Australia or globally, would you mind letting me know?

As a quick addition to Harald's impressive list: the PhD dissertation by
Alexandra (Sasha) Vydrina: *A corpus‐based description of Kakabe, a Western
Mande language : prosody in grammar*
(It's online, no paywall or other barrier)
https://tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/tel-01801759

The appendices include a Kakabe‐French dictionary, comprising 3400 entries,
and an oral corpus of 12 hours of various genres, transcribed, glossed and
time‐aligned with audio and video.

An issue with having dictionaries and corpora incorporated into a PhD
dissertation (as an editorial object) is that it's best for dictionaries to
be in logically structured text format, with XML appearing as the best
option for a human-readable, consistently formatted database format. While
a nice 'printout' of a dictionary is a welcome component of a language
description, as is a body of texts, when all is said and done the three
objects are distinct, and a promising way forward arguably lies in ties
established between these objects through hyperlinks & cross-references
allowing for seamless navigation, rather than through integration into one
and the same editorial object. (Just a thought.)

Best,
Alexis
--
Alexis Michaud