[RNLD List] UNESCO World Atlas of Languages data collection

Julia Sallabank js72 at soas.ac.uk
Fri Oct 8 09:36:27 UTC 2021

Thank you Doug, a very important point. Can it be circulated more widely?

Best wishes
Julia

On Thu, 7 Oct 2021 at 23:45, Michif Speaker <hsouter at gmail.com> wrote:

> Excellent point!
>
> Heather Souter,
> Michif (Métis), Manitoba, Canada
>
> On Thu, Oct 7, 2021 at 17:39 Doug Marmion <doug.marmion at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I was completing the UNESCO World Atlas of Languages survey (link here:
>> https://forms.office.com/r/ZxUYaYsCZ9) and found that the questions
>> don’t make allowance for submitting information on languages that are
>> currently being reawakened (ie being brought back into regular use by the
>> community after a period of having had no speakers). I emailed the UNESCO
>> team to ask about this and they are going to look at amending the survey.
>> As changing the survey form at this point may not be practical, they
>> suggested the following: for question 26, check all the generations who
>> are participating as new users in the reawakening of the language, and in
>> question 27, specify that the language is undergoing reawakening after its
>> loss, with a supporting research link if available.
>>
>> I hope that’s helpful and makes it possible to include information from
>> the many communities working hard to bring their languages back into daily
>> use.
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Doug

Julia Sallabank
Professor of Language Policy and Revitalisation,
School of Languages, Cultures and Linguistics
SOAS, University of London,
London WC1H 0XG, UK

Tel. +44 (0)20 7898 4326
ORCID ID: 0000-0002-8662-6228 <http://orcid.org/0000-0002-8662-6228>

Watch the recording of my British Academy Webinar, 15 July 2021:
<https://www.thebritishacademy.ac.uk/events/why-history-revitalising-endangered-languages/>
https://youtu.be/BJWmWP4gofw

*New Open Access book out now!*
*Revitalizing Endangered Languages: A Practical Guide *
Edited by Justyna Olko, Uniwersytet Warszawski, Poland, and Julia Sallabank
Full Open Access paid for by EU Horizon 2020 project Engaged Humanities.
https://www.cambridge.org/gb/academic/subjects/languages-linguistics/research-methods-linguistics/revitalizing-endangered-languages-practical-guide?format=HB
Available free online as Gold Open Access:
https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/revitalizing-endangered-languages/ADCBBA31190F259BA13525C769E92A9A

*Now out in paperback!*
*Attitudes to Endangered Languages: Identities and Policies*
https://www.cambridge.org/gb/academic/subjects/languages-linguistics/sociolinguistics/attitudes-endangered-languages-identities-and-policies?format=PB