[RNLD List] Australian Languages Workshop program announced and registration now available

Andrew Tanner A.Tanner at latrobe.edu.au
Thu Apr 28 03:17:16 UTC 2022

Hello all.

Just forwarding on a message from Felicity Meakins regarding ALW. See below.

Please note I am not affiliated with ALW at all - we're just currently having trouble with Felicity's posts to this list for some reason. If you have any queries about ALW, please contact Felicity directly.

Andrew Tanner

Dear all,

The program for the Australian Languages Workshop to be held on Minjerribah (North Stradbroke Island) 8-10 July 2021 is now online.

https://www.dynamicsoflanguage.edu.au/alw2022/<https://www.dynamicsoflanguage.edu.au/alw2022/>

Registration closes 10 June 2022:

We’re excited to have two plenaries from Glenda Haward-Nalder and Libby Harward (on Friday) and Clark Webb (on Saturday).

Glenda Harward-Nalder and Libby Harward are a language researcher and artist who are descendants of the Ngugi people of Mulgumpin (Moreton Island) in the Quandamooka (Moreton Bay) Area. They will speak on Ngugi Bajara (Ngugi Footsteps) - a series of site-specific installations with sound works incorporating Indigenous languages.

Clark Webb is a Gumbaynggirr man who is the executive officer of Bularri Muurlay Nyanggan Aboriginal Corporation which runs the Gumbaynggirr Giigana Freedom School, among other language and culture initiatives. He will present on Gumbaynggirr Daari: The Development of Gumbaynggirr Giingana Freedom School, the First Bilingual School Featuring an Aboriginal Language in NSW.

We are also launching Iltyem-iltyem: A website for Australian Indigenous signed languages, Mangurr-jangu Mirlamirlajinjikki – Teaching with Pictures, Mangurr-Jangu – Australian Indigenous Languages Image Bank and Guide and Little Kids Word List (Western Arrranta, Eastern & Central Arrente, Warlpiri, English) at the North Stradbroke Island Historical Museum Drinks and finger food are included in the registration price.

We will also be running the inaugural UQ Winter School in Language Revitalisation on Minjerribah 4-7 July 2022 so we will be joined by students from this course.

https://www.dynamicsoflanguage.edu.au/alw2022/uq-winter-school-in-language-revitalisation/<https://www.dynamicsoflanguage.edu.au/alw2022/uq-winter-school-in-language-revitalisation/>

Regards, Felicity

Prof Felicity Meakins FASSA  |  Australian Research Council (ARC) Future Fellow |

ARC Centre of Excellence for the Dynamics of Language<http://www.dynamicsoflanguage.edu.au/>

Fellow of Academy of Social Sciences Australia<https://socialsciences.org.au/> (FASSA)

Editor of Contact Language Library<https://benjamins.com/#catalog/books/coll/main> |

School of Languages and Cultures | University of Queensland |

Brisbane QLD 4072 | AUSTRALIA

RM 434 | Gordon Greenwood Bldg (32) |

' +61 7 3365 3114 | ' +61 411 404 546 |

email f.meakins at uq.edu.au<mailto:f.meakins at uq.edu.au> |