[RNLD List] Special characters and diacritics in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander languages

Sasha Wilmoth sasha.wilmoth at unimelb.edu.au
Sun Apr 2 04:26:54 UTC 2023

Hi all,

I’m compiling a list of special characters and diacritics used in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander languages. I made a list for a font designer friend a few years ago, when he was designing the AusPost font and wanted to make sure Indigenous languages were supported. He’s now invited me to write a guide for other font designers, so I would like to make sure I’m not forgetting anything.

This is the list I have so far. I know there are more characters used in historical sources, and phonetic characters in publications by linguists, but I’m more interested in what communities have decided on and are using.

¨              umlaut
´               acute accent
`               grave accent
¯              macron
Ṉṉ          Underlined n
Ḻḻ             Underlined l
Ṟṟ            Underlined r
Ṯṯ            Underlined t
Ŋŋ          Underlined ŋ
Œœ        OE ligature
Ŭŭ          U with breve (for Gunnai / Kŭrnai)

Please let me know if I’m missing something!

Thanks,
Sasha