[RNLD List] Searching for Indigenous language learning materials

Henry Leslie-O'Neill Henry.Leslie-ONeill at anu.edu.au
Wed Feb 22 22:28:10 UTC 2023

Hi everyone!

I am looking to gather a range of learning materials for Indigenous languages.

This is for a study analysing such materials and investigating how they were designed. The study will be published as part of my PhD project in collaboration with the MDWg language centre in Kununurra, and it will also inform our own process of co-designing learning materials for Miriwoong. See my recent PhD confirmation talk<https://youtu.be/yXiLxch2O00> if you want to know more about the project.

Below are some more specific criteria, but please send through any materials that you think might be relevant.
- Teaches or supports the learning of an Australian Indigenous language;
- Is specifically designed for Indigenous adults; and
- Teaches or supports the learning of grammar (e.g. building words and sentences) as opposed to learning vocab or sounds.

If you have digital copies of the materials you could email them to me (u7071451 at anu.edu.au<mailto:u7071451 at anu.edu.au>) or upload them here to Google drive<https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1o-efDe7bWdLkNeCT7oUFTdCSxDvLhf3E?usp=share_link>, otherwise citations or general information about materials you know of would be helpful too. ‘Materials’ should be interpreted in a very broad sense: they could be books, pamphlets, posters, videos, audio, apps, websites, games, activity guides, or anything else that supports the learning of an Indigenous language. I would especially like to hear about any materials that seem particularly effective or innovative.

I will collate a list of the materials I gather and share it with this email list in case anyone else is interested. If you have any questions about the project or how the materials will be used, feel free to email me.

Your help is much appreciated.

Cheers,
Henry.