conclusion relation

Eduard Hovy hovy at ISI.EDU
Thu Aug 21 00:37:14 UTC 2008

Hi all,

Juliano, would you agree if one argued that there are three relations
operating in parallel here between A and B?

A: [[the guy puts integrals wherever he wants,]
      [and does whatever he wants the way he wants,]]
B: [[he doesn't need the theory,]
      [he doesn't need maths.]]

1. reasoned conclusion by the author -- an interpersonal relation:
       "A so/therefore I conclude B"
2. result of state or process in the world -- a semantic relation:
       "B, and as a result A "
3. presentational sequence of the text -- an organizing relation:
       "A then B"
       (also, equivalently, "B then A")

Early RST tended to mix up the various 'dimensions' in which these
relations are organized, and so obscured the fact that clauses are
often related in multiple ways at once.  The problem is made worse by
the fact that English (and probably also Brazilian Portuguese) uses
the same words for different relations as well.  Your example is a
nice way of illustrating the need to keep the dimensions apart.

Regards,

--
Eduard Hovy
email: hovy at isi.edu            USC Information Sciences Institute