Help with Slovenian Translation

Katja Benevol Gabrijelcic katja.benevol at klub.pasadena.si
Thu Dec 3 22:31:06 UTC 1998

> For lack of a real Slovenian (na bezryb'e, i rak ryba), maybe I can help:

What do you mean with "lack of a real Slovenian?"

> duhovni means 'spiritual' but also 'clergy', so the whole thing is
> 'clergy office (presumably, chaplain's office) of the general hospital'.
> Wayles Browne, Cornell
> >
> > Ooops!  Even before I was told that my inquiry was not about Croatian, I
> > realized it was probably Slovenian.  So, once more, can anyone translate
> > the Slovenian phrase "Dukhovni urad splosne [hachek above the second s]
> > bolnice"?  I really appreciate your help and apologize for confusing the
> > two languages.
> >
> > Alexander Boguslawski

As you probably saw in Mr. Browne's message, it should read duhovni, not
 dukhovni. Unlike mr. Browne I would go for
spiritual because I never heard of a chaplain's office in our hospitals. (But -
 I'm asking around.) And - speaking of
hospitals - it should be written bolnis[hachek]nice, because bolnica (f, sg,
 nominative) is a female patient. A pretty
common mistake, though.

Bye, Katja

Katja Benevol Gabrijelcic
mailto:katja.benevol at klub.pasadena.si