possible plagiarism

Andrew Wachtel awachtel at casbah.acns.nwu.edu
Wed Dec 16 20:20:29 UTC 1998

I have discovered one sure-fire method of figuring out whether a paper was
plagiarized or not, and it requires no searching at all.  It does require
talking to the student whom you suspect of plagiarism, however.

The theory is simple, people who plagiarize haven't thought much about the
works they are supposed to be writing about, but people who have done their
own work have.  All you have to do is ask the student to answer a couple of
questions that are obvious extensions to the paper you received.  If the
student is unable to do so, you will have all the evidence you need (at
least all the evidence you need to get the student in question to admit the
plagiarism)

Andrew Wachtel