possible plagiarism

Vanchu, Anthony J avanchu at ems.jsc.nasa.gov
Wed Dec 16 21:05:58 UTC 1998

What Andrew Wachtel says is certainly true and is a good way to clear up any
doubts one might have about suspicions of plagiarism.  And if you can get
the student to own up to having plagiarized on the basis of such a
conversation, then I'd say you've been lucky.

But in order to satisfy deans and administrators (not to
mention-uvy!--lawyers), one usually needs hard evidence, such as citations
from a published document.  In one such case at an institution where I
formerly taught, I copiously documented the sources of plagiarism in a
student's paper.  When I confronted this student with the evidence, as I was
instructed to do by my dean's office, the student denied what was right
before both our eyes.  The dean's office, fortunately, recognized that I had
clearly proved my case.

One word of advice on this account-seek out the appropriate administrators
at your school and follow their instructions to the letter.  Taking matters
into your own hands and deciding to settle it in your own way can lead to
BIG problems, as David Birnbaum's previous posting also pointed out.  When
this whole nasty affair was over with, I was thanked profusely by the
administrators I'd dealt with because, by finding out what procedures I
needed to follow and then following them, I'd made their lives much easier
and, most importantly, accomplished the task of getting an act of plagiarism
appropriately punished.  Most professors, I was told, didn't do so unless
they had been through the drill previously.

Finally, *do* ask colleagues who specialize in the particular topic of the
plagiarized paper for help.  Most are quite willing to do so, esp. since it
may be their own work that has been hijacked.  In the above case, I e-mailed
two colleagues at other institutions and then faxed them the student's paper
(minus the name).  I was quite fortunate and hit paydirt immediately, as one
of the two was in the middle of reading the article the student plagiarized
from.  The story draws to its tiresome conclusion when I finally had to
contact the author of the article, since the copy of the journal in which
the article had originally appeared was-kak ni stranno-missing from the
library.  The author then faxed me the article so I would have the necessary
evidence.  I guess all this is to say that tracking down plagiarism can take
a lot of time, work, and, in some cases, inventiveness-resources that
overworked academics might have in short supply at the end of a long
semester.

Tony Vanchu