Ethnic History Conference in Kyiv

Natalie O. Kononenko nkm at unix.mail.virginia.edu
Thu Dec 17 19:10:08 UTC 1998

Dear colleagues,
        I am back with another Ukrainian folklore conference
announcement.  This one is scheduled for April 17 and 18,
1999.  It is to take place at the Kyiv Taras Shevchenko
University, formerly known as the University of Kiev,
Volodymyrska street 60, Room 329, Kyiv 33, Ukraine 252033.

The topic of the conference is THE ETHNIC HISTORY OF EUROPE'S
NATIONS
with the following subtopics emphasized:
        Ethnocultural parallels between the nations of Western
and Eastern Europe
        Traditional ethnic culture of the Slavs
        Ethnic processes and the problem of ethnic identity
preservation
        National minorities and the problem of ethnic identity
preservation
        Problems of Europe's nations traditional cultural
preservation

The sponsors of the conference are:
        The Kyiv Taras Shevchenko University
        The Institute for Political and Ethnosocial Research of
the National Academy of Science
        The International fund "Renaissance"
        The State Committee of Ukraine on the Affairs of
Nationalities and Migrations

Accommodation for conference participants will be at the
university hotel.  The program will include the paper sessions
and a cultural program.  (I assume the latter means
performances by various folklore groups.  Trips outside of Kyiv
can probably be arranged if you ask well enough in advance.
The cost, in my experience, has been quite reasonable: $100
plus gas for a driver and car for one week and the University
owns a field research station in Kaniv which can be used as a
hotel and base for field work.)

To participate, please send a 6-8 page abstract of your
proposed talk plus a registration fee of $89 to:
        The Department of Ethnology
        Faculty of History
        Kyiv Taras Shevchenko University
        Volodymyrska street 60
        Kyiv 33
        Ukraine 252033

tel.: 011-380-44-221-0218
fax: 011-380-44-224-3181
e-mail: tov at rpd.univ.kiev.us

The materials are due by Jan. 1 and, frankly, I would suggest
that you send them by fax.  When I was there, the e-mail was
NOT functioning, so be forewarned.  (And this is why I am the
poster of this announcement, and not someone in Kyiv.)  Again,
I apologize for the lateness of this posting, but we do what we
can when we can.  With my having sent this so late, you can
probably request an extension.

Valentyna Borysenko, the person who gave me this announcement,
says that it is intended to focus on young researchers, to
encourage them, and to provide a venue for them to present
their work to the public.  So, if you have graduate students or
even older undergraduates who would like to spend April in Kyiv
and meet the very charming and well-educated young folklorists
and ethnologists of Kyiv, this is their chance.  Dr. Borysenko
tells me that, even though the focus is on young researchers,
there will be no age limit to conference participants, so you
can spend April in Kyiv too.

As with the other conference announcements which I posted, I
request that you first try contacting Dr. Borysenko directly.
If, despite earnest effort, this does not work, get back to me
and I will see what I can do.

Natalie Kononenko