Why students do not study Russian anymore

VShell bobick at ACCESSONE.COM
Tue Jun 6 17:18:44 UTC 2000

Reading Cheri Wilson's story, I immediately wonder if the study of *any*
foreign language from a young age, in general, will make learning
subsequent languages as an adult easier.  As such, it might not be a bad
thing for Slavists to support education in Spanish or French at the
preschool and primary school levels, so they have a pool of
better-prepared students in secondary school and beyond, from which to
draw "converts" (or at least those wishing to study 2 foreign languages
simultaneously)?

-- Stephen Bobick