academia

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Fri Jun 9 13:28:00 UTC 2000

>How about the ecstasy about the new world's descovery: "Student-centered
>(good guys) as opposed to teacher-centered education" ( the latter is for
>bad guys - to be teacher-centered is almost like commiting a crime).
>
>"There is a paradigm shift from teacher-controlled to student-controlled,
>self-paced learning". Teacher is a peer, a friend, a consultant. A
>catalyst.
>I know, I am being "politically incorrect". But I believe there is no such
>thing as "student-centered" or "teacher-centered" teaching.

How about this scenario. While signing up for a seminar (where every member
is approved by the professor), every student must sign a contract or else
the student cannot participate in it. The contract stipulates that anything
the student says or writes for the course the professor can use in his/her
work. For the duration of the seminar each student is assigned a work on
the subject weekly, and at the end of the seminar the students have to turn
in diskettes with this literature review. There also papers to write, of
course. The students are later thanked in a forward of the professor's
book.

>There is poor teaching and there is good teaching.

This method teaches something, certainly about some adversities of academic
life, maybe some research skill. The list of what it does not teach would
be longer.

I think we should discuss what's wrong with (some of) us, ethics of our
profession, not just what wrong with them (students).

Alina Israeli
LFS, American University                phone:  (202) 885-2387
4400 Mass. Ave., NW                     fax:    (202) 885-1076
Washington, DC 20016

aisrael at american.edu