Yurij Lotoshko - seeking his e-mail address

Kenneth E Udut simplify3 at JUNO.COM
Sat Jun 10 05:33:19 UTC 2000

Yes - it's just syllable stuff I'm working with.

It explains why I had so much trouble finding
detailed information on syllable-breaks (not
line breaks) - because it was just quite simple.

It only took me a very short time
to automate making the breaks
(it's three search/repace operations:

1 goes from a list of vowels, vowel sonant,
vowel sonant softsign etc, and replaces
those various things with unique codes, within the text.

2 takes the codes and turn them back into
visual syllable breaks (a simple "-")

3 One final search/replace does a little cleanup.
(a word like govorit' would break up like
go-vor-i-t' so I'd clean up all ending consonants
(a dash, consonant and a space, as well as
a dash, a consonant, a soft sign and a space, and
get rid of the dash).

And that was it.  Works well.  Surprisingly easy.

And best of all, I'm able to do the thing I hoped
to do.  Ideally, I want to work towards getting my
brain to take advantage of the 'din in the head' - the
'voice in the brain' - the 'inner chatter' - the one you have
talking without any control.

You see,
while I am at work, I have hours and hours of time
that the 'chatter' is going on its own.  A song like
"Que, sera sera, whatever will be will be..." for example,
may 'bounce around' in my head for hours.  It's time
that could be spent doing some sort of semi-conscious
language practice.

The way I'm hoping to do this is to set various texts
to music, to tunes I am familiar with, and listen and
repeat, listen and repeat simultaneously, when I have
free time - then, my hope is that my brain will 'hook in'
to it while I am writing reports in Microsoft Excel at work,
and be doing *something* with learning Russian.

If it works, then that's 7 or 8 hours of extra language learning
time that otherwise would be wasted each day.  A potential
of 35-40 hrs a week extra language learning.

That's how I am thinking anyhow.  I'm sure someone has
done it before, but I haven't found much on it yet.

-Kenneth