Lem

Marta Sherwood-Pike msherw at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Sat Jun 10 03:23:06 UTC 2000

This is rather off the thread of this list, so I appologize. My family
history includes several Anglican clergymen who served in the colonies
before the Revolutionary war; they were not perhaps intellectuals, but
they were much better educated than the average settler. I havn't been
able to get any statistics, but transportation and involuntary servitude
of people convicted of petty crimes was certainly widespread in the
colonies in the 17th and 18th centuries.  --MAS-