Setting the preferences in "IE"

Kjetil Ra Hauge K.R.Hauge at EAST.UIO.NO
Sat Jun 24 10:35:36 UTC 2000

>Seelangers,
>
>Having used the "Netscape" browser for a number of years, I am now
>experimenting with "Internet Explorer" on a Macintosh PowerBook G3 running
>OS 8.6. Could some kind soul tell me how I must set up my "Preferences" in
>such a way so that I can view Cyrillic fonts on-screen? Apart from the
>proper "Preferences" and encodings, are there any other settings I need to
>establish to achieve my goal? To state the obvious, I have all the necessary
>Cyrillic fonts installed in my System.

There could be a number of reasons:

 - If the fonts are third-party, are they compliant with the Apple
encoding? If you upgrade to System 9, Cyrillic fonts come as a free extra,
with better screen fonts than those included in the former Cyrillic
Language Kit.

 - There are several encoding standards for web page content - make sure
you specify your Cyrillic fonts for all of them, in Preferences>Web
Browser>Language/Fonts.

 - If you are using an older version of IE, you might have to select
Cyrillic encoding manually when viewing the page, possibly also with a
reload/refresh after that. Versions 4.5 and above are better in this
respect, but if the source code of the page does not specify Cyrillic
encoding, you will still have to do this.

 - The source code of the page specifies certain fonts for the content -
for instance Times Roman. This will look OK on a Windows computer with a
Cyrillic version of Times Roman installed, but not on your Mac, where the
Cyrillic fonts have other names. Workaround: Preferences>Web Browser>Web
Content and uncheck "Allow page to specify fonts".

 - The source code of the page might be Unicode (UTF-8 encoding) - I am not
sure whether this is handled by System 8. System 9 handles it, as long as
you have the proper fonts.

-- Kjetil RĂ¥ Hauge, U. of Oslo. Phone +47/22856710, fax +47/22854140
-- (this msg sent from home, ph. +47/67148424, +47/67149745
-- fax +1/5084372444 [eFax, U.S. number])