WordPerfect 9 help request

Alexandre Bougakov bougakov at MAIL.RU
Tue Jun 27 12:42:18 UTC 2000

Hello, David,

I have foung this small trick when I was teaching my Adobe Photoshop (US
Edition) to type Russsian characters instead of characters with diacritic
marks. Hope, that it will help you with your WP9.

Open Registry Editor (from "Start" => "Run" => regedit.exe) and change the
value of the Registry key called "1252" in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\CodePage

from "C_1252.nls" to "C_1251.nls".

This should help - the system will not display Central European characters
- German umlauts, Polish and French specific characters and so on (from
Windows-1252 codepage) and will use Cyrillic characters (from Windows-1251
codepage) instead of them. You will see Russian small letter "d" instead of
Geman small "a umlaut", Russian "tz" instead of "o umlaut" etc. And Windows
will continue to think, that it uses Win-1252 codepage.

If you have never seen Registry editor and have no idea what you should do
with it, ask someone who does. Do not experiment yourself at your own risk,
please.  And before doing anything, BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY!!!!!! Nothing
should happen with your system, such change can not harm your system in any
way, but, as we in Russia say "berezhenogo Bog berezhet":

 - if you are running Windows NT, run RDISK.EXE to make backups of your
Registry components. And if something will go wrong, press spacebar key
when your system starts - and NT will automatically choose "Last successful
configuration".

 - if you use Win9x, save this Registry key to the file in the temporary
folder - and you will be able to restore Registry using Regedit.exe from
the DOS command prompt at any time.

Also make sure that you are using fonts, which contain Russian characters -
you can check it if you will open Character Map program from Acessories
folder in the Start menu. You can install Internet Explorer version 5 in
the 'full' configuration - it is shipped with Microsoft Font Pack which
contains standard Unicode fonts (Arial, Tahoma, Courier New, Impact, Times
New Roman, Garamond, Verdana and others), which contain all necessary
characters - Roman, East European, Greek, Cyrillic and others.

And maybe the simpliest solution will be to install MS Office 97 or 2000 -
my MS Word can, for example, work with documents which contain Corean,
Roman and Cyrillic characters in the same time without any problem.

Good luck!

Sincerely yours,
Alexandre Bougakov <mailto:bougakov at mail.ru>
Student of the sociological faculty of the Higher School of Economics
(http://www.hse.ru/fakultet/sociology/default.html), Moscow, Russian
Federation
My website is http://SocioLink.narod.ru/ (thousands of sociology related
links on the Web
- in Russian, Microsoft Internet Explorer 4 or higher is required)
My PGP key ID is 0x97F20C99, Key Fingerprint is C83C 5998 F43A BEB7 70DF
 B8FC CC5E 960E 97F2 0C99 (PGP version is 6.0.2i)