Cyrillic for email, etc on Macs

Sun Dec 30 20:56:55 UTC 2001

Kjetil RĂ¥ Hauge wrote:

> >I have some web pages that I would like to open in a word
> >processor. The web pages seem to be in KOI-8. I would like to open
> >them in Word (or something else) in order to change margins etc.
> >
> Recent incarnations of Word (98 and 2001 on the Mac platform) are
> able to open web pages directly. Select "Show source" in your
> browser, save the result as a text file, and open it.

That's only good for very basic pages. Most modern Web pages use
JavaScript, relative addressing, and so forth, and if you just open the
source code in Word, you lose the graphics and some other features as
well (if you're willing to sacrifice them, fine, go for it).

It's much better to launch Word and tell it to open the URL exactly the
same way you would tell it to open a local file. It's best to copy and
paste the URL from some reliable source (e.g., your browser), but you
can also type it into the File | Open dialog by hand.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com