Enrollments

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Fri Mar 7 17:43:14 UTC 2003

>That may be true a good portion of the time, but I think most ugrads in
>Psych. and English are there because they think that those majors are the
>most practical or useful (don't ask me why) outside of hard science or
>business.  I recall hearing a studio art professor telling me last year about
>a very talented student who she had been trying to recruit.  The girl was
>reluctant to switch to studio art from psych. because she wouldn't be able to
>do anything with that degree...as if being one of 500 graduating psych majors
>was going to somehow land her a great job.

In today's washingtonpost.com there are 6 counceling jobs (for which one
would need a social work or psych degree):

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wl/jobs/JS_JobSearchResult?TS=1047047678967

Arts are completely absent from the list. In order to become a professional
artist you have to be ready to live on a subsistance wage (and not steady
at that) and feel that you have no other way out of your predicament. This
girl may still become an artist but have an income to live on. And happy
past Michelangelo's birthday! BTW this girl is unlikely to have a Pope for
a patron.

Alina Israeli
LFS, American University
4400 Massachusetts Ave. NW