Enrollments

Jolanta Davis jmdavis at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Tue Mar 11 04:01:56 UTC 2003

In case anyone is interested--for the last couple of years AAASS has been
trying to gather information on the number of graduates from programs in
Russian, Eurasian, and East European fields.

As the disclaimer we always print says--the data were provided by the
departments and are accurate, but not all universities and departments that
granted degrees to students majoring in Russian, Eurasian, and East
European Studies were contacted, and from among those that were contacted,
not all responded. As a result, data about some schools may be incomplete
if information received was about only one group of students only (Ph.D.,
M.A., or B.A. recipients), or if information was submitted by only one
department at the school. We received data from only a few departments in
disciplines other than languages and literatures (e.g. history, economics,
political science). The results of this survey should then be seen only as
informal and showing general trends of enrollment in the field, and not as
a complete and comprehensive survey of all universities granting degrees in
Russian, Eurasian, and East European Studies.

If anyone is interested in seeing the data--the files are posted to AAASS
Web site: www.fas.harvard.edu/~aaass

The problem with gathering information like this and making something like
this a comprehensive survey is that we'd need to have a complete list of
all departments that offer programs in the field, and we'd have to make
sure that all contacted departments respond. If anyone has an advice on how
to improve this process considering that only one person (me) is doing all
the work in a limited timeframe, I'm listening. ;-)

I would very much like to be able to publish bi-annual or annual list of
enrollments in classes related to the field (language, literature, history,
social sciences, etc.) but AAASS cannot afford to hire an assistant to help
us do it. If anyone would be willing to volunteer to collect this sort of
information (probably submitting information through a Web site would work
best), we could help spread the word about such a survey, and then publish
the information, giving the full credit to the person/organization who
collected it.

Jolanta M. Davis
AAASS Publications Coordinator and NewsNet Editor

American Association for the Advancement of Slavic Studies (AAASS)
8 Story Street
Cambridge, MA
tel.: 617-495-0679
fax: 617-495-0680