Any of you NOT in academia?

Renee Stillings | Alinga renee at ALINGA.COM
Fri Mar 14 20:33:41 UTC 2003

Speaking of translation as an option for Russian majors (I was not one - I
was an engineering major with some Russian coursework), I worked for a few
years out of college in a technical translation company - not as a
translator, but in project management. While not still in the industry, I
maintain contacts and constantly inquire as to whether it has picked up yet
with Russian. The answer is still a big "no" and I constantly feel that the
majority of Russian translation is done by small specialized agencies and
individuals, who are willing to also keep themselves going by translating
diplomas and transcripts and the like.

What this means is that there is something rather unique going on with
Russian. The large corporate contracts, essential to fullscale production
translation companies, do not include Russian. On one hand this is a sign of
the level of attention/commitment to the Russian market, but it may also be
related to the strength of the domestic Russian translation industry and
that most companies who are seriously vested in the Russian market just
source locally? I would be curious to hear some insights from any of you
translators out there as to whether you notice any differences in the
Russian translation market as opposed to other languages.

On a similar note, how many of your departments are offering technical
language and translation courses - that right there is one way to draw some
minors out of the sciences and engineering!

Renee