English equivalent of "pilit'"

J.W. vanya1v at YAHOO.COM
Fri Apr 2 16:55:26 UTC 2004

Ottawa (Canada), Friday 2/4/04 11h55 EST

Hullo, SEELANGers!

Does anybody know of a good English equivalent of the Russian verb
"пилить (на скрипке)" ["pilit' (na skripke)"], giving the impression of
practising constantly on a violin in such a way that the sound tends to
grate on the ears of the musician's neighbours?  A computer dictionary
offers "scrape", but this usage is not familiar to me -- especially in a
context like "he scraped and scraped all day".  I would be grateful for
any suggestions.

J. Woodsworth