experience with Ruscico

Michael Denner mdenner at STETSON.EDU
Mon Apr 19 16:20:20 UTC 2004

Ben!
In what capacity? If you're talking about purchasing films from them,
I've never ordered films directly from them (I didn't know one could
until your email). I've always bought their films via RBCMP3.com, which
has, in my experience, been superlative in their selection and service.
(In fact, I often buy films from rbcmp3.com over eBay:
http://stores.ebay.com/russianDVD-com_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm -- the
prices are better.)

If you're asking about the quality of the films, RUSISCO's films have
always struck me as extraordinarily fine -- I always use their videos in
my cinema class if Rusisco has released the film.

The "extra features" are standard, but excellent. I'm looking at the
Sibiriada disc: Three discs, with interviews with the director, art
director, screenplay writer, composer and with the lead actor.
Overdubbed in French, English (and of course you can listen to the
Russian flavor, too). Subtitles in 13 languages, included Arabic,
Chinese and Portuguese. The soundtrack has been remastered into Dolby.
Pretty impressive -- I just listened to it.  All this for under $50. (I
notice that the Rusisco site has it marked as "forthcoming" -- it was
released a couple of months ago.)

Finally, you have to respect their turn-around -- typically less than a
year (e.g., they already have Otets I syn available).

I'd say that Rusisco is Russia's analogue to the American Criterion
Collection. Higher praise would be harder to gather.

mad

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()
Dr. Michael A. Denner
Russian Studies Program