query about transliteration

Natalia Pylypiuk natalia.pylypiuk at UALBERTA.CA
Thu Apr 22 03:55:28 UTC 2004

Dear Colleagues,

Would someone please tell me the name of the system that transliterates
the Cyrillic *x* as English *h*.  I have seen this practice among students
from the former USSR.

Being accustomed to the Library of Congress system, which renders
*x* as *kh*, and to the International Standard, which renders it
as *x*, I would like to understand the reasoning behind the use of *h*.

Kind regards,
N. Pylypiuk